The former Manchester City midfielder, 42, pushed his wife to the ground before kicking her in the head after the pair drunk 'four or five' bottle of wine, a court was told
Joey Barton arriving at court today
Former footballer Joey Barton has been found guilty of assaulting his wife at their family home in south-west London. The former Manchester City and QPR midfielder left Georgia Barton, 38, with a lump on her forehead and a bleeding nose after the incident in June 2021.
Barton grabbed his wife and pushed her to the ground before kicking her in the head after having a drunken row about a family matter. Sentencing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court, chief magistrate Paul Goldspring rejected Barton’s account of events given during evidence as untruthful and “vague”.
While he acknowledged Barton had “a record of violence”, the magistrate said: “I am satisfied that it is not necessary to impose an immediate custodial sentence.” Mr Goldspring said the couple remained in a “happy relationship” with a young child, adding: “That is not something I want to interfere with.”
Barton was handed a 12-week sentence suspended for two years.
He was also ordered to pay £2,183 in victim surcharge and prosecution costs within seven days.
On the night of the assault, Mrs Barton called the police shortly after 11pm to "report she had been hit by her husband", a court heard. The pair had both drunk "four or five bottles of wine" and had been socialising with others.
During the 999 call played to the court, a tearful Mrs Barton told the call handler: "Me husband's just hit me in the house. He's in the house, I'm outside." Asked if anything similar had happened before, she said: "No, it's the first time," adding that she had been hit "in the face".
When police arrived at around 11.30pm, Mrs Barton told them: "I've been pushed down and kicked about and stuff. He said he was going to fight with my brother and my dad."
The former footballer, of Widnes in Cheshire, was due to face trial at a magistrates' court in 2022, but the case was adjourned after Mrs Barton sent a letter to prosecutors retracting her allegations. A judge then ordered that proceedings be paused over concerns a trial would be unfair to Barton after prosecutors said they did not plan to ask Mrs Barton to give evidence in court.
The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Stephen Parkinson, appealed against the decision at the High Court in London, with barristers claiming at a hearing that a fair trial could go ahead.
In a judgment in June, two senior judges ruled in the DPP's favour and said Barton should face a trial over the allegations in front of a different judge.
His career and life have been marked by numerous controversial incidents. Last year, broadcaster Jeremy Vine sued him for libel and harassment over 14 online posts, including one where he called Mr Vine a "big bike nonce" and a "pedo defender" on X, formerly Twitter.
Earlier this year, he appeared in court charged with sending offensive messages to Vine and commentator Lucy Ward.
He was stripped of his QPR captaincy in 2012 having been sent off during Manchester City's dramatic final-day 3-2 win over QPR after elbowing Carlos Tevez and, as he left the pitch, Barton kicked Sergio Aguero before aiming a headbutt at Vincent Kompany.
Barton was handed a 12-week suspended prison sentence for the assault.
MAYA JAMA channelled her inner Pamela Anderson as she made a mad dash to the latest round of Baller League.The competition is back and headed up by president KSI, who recently sold out Wembley in the Sidemen Charity Match.Maya Jama channeled her inner Pammie as she made a mad dash to the Baller LeagueJama resembled Pamela Anderson's CJ Parker character from BaywatchAnd Jama, 30, is among the celeb...

GABRIEL'S wife Gabrielle Figueiredo has given a concerning update on the Arsenal star's injury.The Brazilian, 27, went down clutching his hamstring barely 15 minutes into his side's 2-1 win over Fulham on Tuesday night.Gabrielle Figueiredo appeared at the Married to the Game screeningGabrielle is married to Arsenal star GabrielAfter receiving treatment on the pitch, the centre-back shook his head ...

ANNE HATHAWAY shared the delight of her fellow Arsenal fans after Bukayo Saka's goalscoring return from injury.The winger made his long-awaited comeback from hamstring surgery in last night's 2-1 win over Fulham.Anne Hathaway posted a snap of her in an Arsenal kit after victory over FulhamBukayo Saka was back amongst the goals on his return from injurySaka came on soon after the hour mark and it t...

Liverpool have moved one step closer to the title with a 1-0 win over Everton thanks to Diogo Jota - and Daily Star Sport has a look at what Arne Slot got right and wrongLiverpool and Everton's second round dust-up lacked the tension their first round promised. In the end, it was a routine win for Liverpool.Arne Slot's side had pried and probed, much to the frustration of the Anfield crowd, with E...

A football fan tried to eat a raw pig's head as he celebrated his team's league title win.Revolting footage showed two supporters in Brazil holding up the animal part as elated supporters chanted around them.Corinthians defeated PalmeirasBafflingly, one of the men could be seen clamping his teeth around one of the pig's ears in a bid to rip a chunk out of it.After he finally let go, the second man...

DAVID Beckham has kicked off his 50th birthday celebrations — which include a month of partying.The former England skipper, who owns US club Inter Miami, got the ball rolling with a posh bash at his favourite restaurant in the city.David Beckham, pictured with wife Victoria, has kicked off his 50th birthday celebrations — which include a month of partyingGuests included 6ft 4in quarter...

Diletta Leotta, the better of half of Liverpool flop Loris Karius, has opened up on a traumatising airport experience after an invasive security check at a German airport.The stunning DAZN presenter had jetted from her native Italy to Germany to see Karius turn out for Schalke in the 2.Bundesliga. But she was subjected to checks on her way home.Explaining the story on Radio 105, as per BILD, she s...

Stunning Italian TV host Eleonora Incardona has wowed her legion of fans on social media as she flaunted her curvy figure before the return of club footballEleonora Incardona teased fans on social mediaEleonora Incardona has again wowed her legion of fans with social media snaps as Italian football made its return.Eleonora, 34, has previously risked a social media ban flaunting her curvy figure on...

The former Charlton Athletic and Leyton Orient player is regularly leaving fans speechless and her latest trip to the beach was no different.Madelene Wright left fans stunned with her latest Instagram postThe footballer and model posed in a bikini on the beachMadelene took a dip in the waterMadelene, 26, posed for some snaps by the sea in her bikini as she took a break away from the football pitch...

The model famously dated ex-England star Dele Alli between 2016 and 2021.Ruby Mae has shown off her figure in a stunning new shootThe model rocked a backless white dress in the spring time inspired snapsRuby did some flower pickingThe 30-year-old has previously modelled for Chanel and Dolce & GabbanaAlli has joined Serie A side Como in a bid to resurrect his career after two years on the sidel...



- 1 Hot WAG flaunts 'astonishing' washboard abs in bikini
- 2 Danny Rohl hails Sheffield Wednesday resilience in draw at Cardiff
- 3 Alfie May double sends Birmingham step closer to Championship
- 4 Marcus Rashford scores first Premier League goal for Villa in win at Brighton
- 5 Ryan Lowe and Conor Hourihane felt team deserved more as Wigan and Barnsley draw
- 6 Mat Sadler hails Taylor Allen set-piece skills after Walsall snatch draw
- 7 Chris Davies says Alfie May’s goal drought never concerned him
- 8 Football fan 'eats' raw pig's head in ultimate insult
- 9 Marcus Rashford still looking to improve after firing Villa into FA Cup semis
- 10 Chelsea prepare €70m for Barcelona defender