Scotland head coach Steve Clarke hopes there is a silver lining from their heavy home defeat by Greece after appearing to learn immediate lessons.
Clarke’s side were relegated from the top tier of the Nations League after losing 3-0 in their play-off second leg at Hampden.
Scotland had gone into the game on a high after winning 1-0 in the away leg on Thursday but they were two down on aggregate inside 46 minutes and never looked like getting back into the game.
Ryan Christie returned from suspension to replace Lewis Ferguson but Clarke otherwise kept the same team that played in Piraeus while Greece made six changes including handing a debut to 17-year-old goalscorer Konstantinos Karetsas, whose half-time introduction had inspired Greece on Thursday.
“We didn’t have enough energy in the team,” Clarke said. “Greece had more energy. They were a little bit sharper. The best team won on the night.”
Scotland also travel to Greece in the World Cup qualifiers on November 15 and Clarke hinted he would look at making more changes before their final group game at Hampden three days later.
That game will be against Denmark, whose place in Scotland’s group was confirmed later on Sunday when they lost 5-2 after extra-time against Portugal in a Nations League quarter-final.
When asked if he might have freshened things up more, Clarke said: “It’s possible. With hindsight, everything’s possible. The boys assured me they were all fit and well.

“I think the first goal gave them a lift. Their first dangerous foray forward, they scored with that. After that, it became a long night for us. I could have done with a few more legs on the team, to be honest.
“It might work in our favour, actually, because we have to do a similar trip in November out to Greece.
“It may be something to look at, the fact that you go out there, you put in a big shift out there, you have the long travel back. Maybe we weren’t quite recovered in time for the game. Not everybody, but some people.
“It’s something that I can certainly look at and try and address.”

Scotland started on the front foot with Scott McTominay looking dangerous but a lack of tracking back cost them as they conceded two first-half goals. A loose pass from Christie then gifted Greece a third.
Clarke said: “I thought the back four did reasonably OK. I was disappointed with the defending of the team. We defended as a team from back to front on Thursday night in Greece. We didn’t do that in this game and that’s why we got punished.”
Clarke added: “Greece came here and laid down a marker. We know what to expect when they come back in October. We’ll be ready.
“To finish such a positive Nations League campaign on such a low note and such a poor performance is something that will hurt the players. We’ve got plenty of time to stew on it before our next competitive game.

“We’ve got two friendlies in June. We have to address one or two things and try to be better going forward.”
It was a record fifth consecutive away win for Greece, whose starting line-up had an average age of less than 23.
Head coach Ivan Jovanovic said: “The expectations have continued to increase but the team is continuing to meet them.
“We have a young group of players but the future is in their hands. I feel I am fortunate to have these young players available.”
Ange Postecoglou insisted his controversial cupped ear celebration to Tottenham fans in a 1-0 loss at Chelsea had been misinterpreted on another bad night for the Australian.Spurs slipped to a 16th defeat in the Premier League this season thanks to a 50th-minute header by Enzo Fernandez, but it only told half the story of a typically frenzied London derby.VAR was required to rule out a fine strike...

Chelsea climbed back into the Premier League’s top four as Enzo Fernandez’s header early in the second half earned a 1-0 derby win over Tottenham at Stamford Bridge.Enzo Maresca’s side were under pressure after limping into the international break playing football that had ceased to excite home fans, but they largely had the better of a disappointing Spurs team that failed to tak...

Reports suggest a striker, a new central midfielder, a winger and a backup goalkeeper all on the Italian's agenda as the season comes to a close. However, this means player sales will also be key to boosting Arteta's spending power if they want to comply with financial rules much like every other Premier League side. Raheem Sterling and veteran No.2 goalkeeper Neto are both set to return to their ...

Let's start our Daily Laugh today. Sam Barrott last night Kiwior VS Vinicius Jr. & Mbappe Fun Fact Once upon a time they all used to called as next Messi. VAR referee placing bets during a live game in the Bulgaria league. Only Didier Drogba can do this… Tottenham always make Chelsea feel better Please stay tuned on Daily Laugh. There will be more fun tomorrow!(Credit: Justtoonit, ori...

Manchester United will beat Arsenal to the signing of fearsome Swedish striker Viktor Gyokeres this summer, according to a Liverpool legend.Gyokeres is one of the most in-demand centre-forwards in the world after registering an incredible 85 goals in 92 appearances for Sporting CP since joining the club in July 2023. The 26-year-old was prevented from leaving last summer by a massive €100mil...

The Canada international is poised to become a free agent this summer, leading to plenty of interest in him from top Premier League clubs.According to Empire of the Kop, it now looks like Liverpool are serious contenders to sign David ahead of the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Newcastle and West Ham.It's not often quality players like David are available for free, so it ...

Ollie Watkins was a transfer target for Arsenal back in JanuaryArsenal are gearing up for a busy summer transfer window with a new striker at the top of Mikel Arteta's wishlist. But there are seemingly no plans to rekindle their interest in Ollie Watkins after their failed January swoop for the Aston Villa star.Watkins, 29, emerged as a surprise target for the Gunners in the winter transfer window...

Man Utd hand Amir Ibragimov his first professional contract🚨✍🏻 Official: Amir Ibragimov has signed his first professional contract for Manchester United.He’s highly rated internally among talents for the future. pic.twitter.com/YrkLvNUeRd— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) April 3, 2025Real Madrid sign highly-rated Diego Aguado🚨⚪️ 18 year old talent Diego Aguado has signed new deal at ...

David Moyes believes James Tarkowski was lucky to avoid a red card for his reckless challenge on Alexis Mac Allister as Everton were beaten 1-0 by Liverpool on a controversial night at Anfield.Diogo Jota’s 57th-minute goal, which Moyes claimed should have been ruled out for offside, gave Liverpool a 100th derby win and moved them a step closer to the Premier League title, but both sides were...

Jack Grealish dedicated his goal to his late brother after scoring in Manchester City’s 2-0 win over relegation-threatened Leicester on Wednesday.The England international hit his first Premier League goal for 16 months, on his first start in the competition since last December, as City moved back into fourth with a comfortable success at the Etihad Stadium.It came on the 25th anniversary of...



- 1 Hot WAG flaunts 'astonishing' washboard abs in bikini
- 2 Danny Rohl hails Sheffield Wednesday resilience in draw at Cardiff
- 3 Alfie May double sends Birmingham step closer to Championship
- 4 Marcus Rashford scores first Premier League goal for Villa in win at Brighton
- 5 Ryan Lowe and Conor Hourihane felt team deserved more as Wigan and Barnsley draw
- 6 Mat Sadler hails Taylor Allen set-piece skills after Walsall snatch draw
- 7 Chris Davies says Alfie May’s goal drought never concerned him
- 8 Football fan 'eats' raw pig's head in ultimate insult
- 9 Marcus Rashford still looking to improve after firing Villa into FA Cup semis
- 10 Chelsea prepare €70m for Barcelona defender