UEFA said they will "enter discussions with FIFA and IFAB" over a possible change to the rule that saw Julian Alvarez's penalty disallowed in Atletico Madrid's Champions League defeat to Real Madrid on Wednesday.
Real Madrid progressed to the quarterfinals -- where they'll face Arsenal -- thanks to a 4-2 penalty shootout win following extra time at the Metropolitano, after the tie had finished all square at 2-2 on aggregate.
A key moment in the shootout saw Alvarez's spot kick ruled out after VAR determined that the Atletico forward had kicked the ball twice -- once with each foot -- as he slipped before scoring past goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois.
That led to protests from Atletico, with coach Diego Simeone insisting that "the ball doesn't move" and challenging journalists over the decision in his postmatch news conference, and Courtois hitting back, accusing Atletico of "crying."
Along with the statement, UEFA released frame-by-frame footage on Thursday that appeared to show "minimal" contact with the ball by Alvarez's standing leg.
"Atletico de Madrid enquired with UEFA over the incident, which led to the disallowance of the kick from the penalty mark taken by Julian Alvarez at the end of yesterday's UEFA Champions League match against Real Madrid," UEFA said.
"Although minimal, the player made contact with the ball using his standing foot before kicking it, as shown in the attached video clip. Under the current rule (Laws of the Game, Law 14.1), the VAR had to call the referee signalling that the goal should be disallowed.
"UEFA will enter discussions with FIFA and IFAB to determine whether the rule should be reviewed in cases where a double touch is clearly unintentional."
UEFA issued a statement regarding the controversy surrounding Julian Alvarez's penalty kick.
IFAB is the International Football Association Board, a body that is responsible for the laws of the game and any proposed changes.
The Alvarez incident led to confusion inside the stadium on Wednesday, with many present initially unaware that the spot kick had been disallowed, and then postmatch protests by Atletico, led by Simeone.
Atletico dominated Wednesday's encounter for long spells, having won 1-0 on the night thanks to Conor Gallagher's goal after just 27 seconds.
The club has never come out on top against local rivals Real in the Champions League, losing the 2014 and 2016 finals, and being eliminated in the 2017 semifinals.
Ange Postecoglou insisted his controversial cupped ear celebration to Tottenham fans in a 1-0 loss at Chelsea had been misinterpreted on another bad night for the Australian.Spurs slipped to a 16th defeat in the Premier League this season thanks to a 50th-minute header by Enzo Fernandez, but it only told half the story of a typically frenzied London derby.VAR was required to rule out a fine strike...

Chelsea climbed back into the Premier League’s top four as Enzo Fernandez’s header early in the second half earned a 1-0 derby win over Tottenham at Stamford Bridge.Enzo Maresca’s side were under pressure after limping into the international break playing football that had ceased to excite home fans, but they largely had the better of a disappointing Spurs team that failed to tak...

Reports suggest a striker, a new central midfielder, a winger and a backup goalkeeper all on the Italian's agenda as the season comes to a close. However, this means player sales will also be key to boosting Arteta's spending power if they want to comply with financial rules much like every other Premier League side. Raheem Sterling and veteran No.2 goalkeeper Neto are both set to return to their ...

Let's start our Daily Laugh today. Sam Barrott last night Kiwior VS Vinicius Jr. & Mbappe Fun Fact Once upon a time they all used to called as next Messi. VAR referee placing bets during a live game in the Bulgaria league. Only Didier Drogba can do this… Tottenham always make Chelsea feel better Please stay tuned on Daily Laugh. There will be more fun tomorrow!(Credit: Justtoonit, ori...

Manchester United will beat Arsenal to the signing of fearsome Swedish striker Viktor Gyokeres this summer, according to a Liverpool legend.Gyokeres is one of the most in-demand centre-forwards in the world after registering an incredible 85 goals in 92 appearances for Sporting CP since joining the club in July 2023. The 26-year-old was prevented from leaving last summer by a massive €100mil...

The Canada international is poised to become a free agent this summer, leading to plenty of interest in him from top Premier League clubs.According to Empire of the Kop, it now looks like Liverpool are serious contenders to sign David ahead of the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Newcastle and West Ham.It's not often quality players like David are available for free, so it ...

Ollie Watkins was a transfer target for Arsenal back in JanuaryArsenal are gearing up for a busy summer transfer window with a new striker at the top of Mikel Arteta's wishlist. But there are seemingly no plans to rekindle their interest in Ollie Watkins after their failed January swoop for the Aston Villa star.Watkins, 29, emerged as a surprise target for the Gunners in the winter transfer window...

Man Utd hand Amir Ibragimov his first professional contract🚨✍🏻 Official: Amir Ibragimov has signed his first professional contract for Manchester United.He’s highly rated internally among talents for the future. pic.twitter.com/YrkLvNUeRd— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) April 3, 2025Real Madrid sign highly-rated Diego Aguado🚨⚪️ 18 year old talent Diego Aguado has signed new deal at ...

David Moyes believes James Tarkowski was lucky to avoid a red card for his reckless challenge on Alexis Mac Allister as Everton were beaten 1-0 by Liverpool on a controversial night at Anfield.Diogo Jota’s 57th-minute goal, which Moyes claimed should have been ruled out for offside, gave Liverpool a 100th derby win and moved them a step closer to the Premier League title, but both sides were...

Jack Grealish dedicated his goal to his late brother after scoring in Manchester City’s 2-0 win over relegation-threatened Leicester on Wednesday.The England international hit his first Premier League goal for 16 months, on his first start in the competition since last December, as City moved back into fourth with a comfortable success at the Etihad Stadium.It came on the 25th anniversary of...



- 1 Hot WAG flaunts 'astonishing' washboard abs in bikini
- 2 Danny Rohl hails Sheffield Wednesday resilience in draw at Cardiff
- 3 Alfie May double sends Birmingham step closer to Championship
- 4 Marcus Rashford scores first Premier League goal for Villa in win at Brighton
- 5 Ryan Lowe and Conor Hourihane felt team deserved more as Wigan and Barnsley draw
- 6 Mat Sadler hails Taylor Allen set-piece skills after Walsall snatch draw
- 7 Chris Davies says Alfie May’s goal drought never concerned him
- 8 Football fan 'eats' raw pig's head in ultimate insult
- 9 Marcus Rashford still looking to improve after firing Villa into FA Cup semis
- 10 Chelsea prepare €70m for Barcelona defender