Newcastle boss Eddie Howe will consider an appeal against the red card that is set to cost Anthony Gordon a Carabao Cup final appearance.
England international Gordon was dismissed for violent conduct seven minutes from the end of normal time in Sunday’s 2-1 FA Cup fifth-round defeat by Brighton after catching Jan Paul van Hecke in the face as the pair tussled for the ball.
He now faces a three-match ban which will rule him out of the Carabao Cup final against Liverpool on March 16.
Eddie Howe on this afternoon''s FA Cup exit at St. James'' Park 🗣️ pic.twitter.com/mBhZRkSFqE
— Newcastle United (@NUFC) March 2, 2025
Asked if he reserved the right to appeal referee Anthony Taylor’s decision, Howe, who saw keeper Nick Pope miss the final of the same competition in 2023 because of a red card, said: “Of course. If we analyse the incident and feel there’s grounds for that, we will do without hesitation.”
Gordon’s red card, to the player’s astonishment, came after he thrust his hand into Van Hecke’s face as he attempted to surge past the Brighton defender.
Asked for his opinion of the incident, Howe said: “I’d need to see it, I can’t sit here and give an honest opinion to that until I’ve done the work that you’ve done and looked at it. But knowing the player, I know there’s no malice intended there.
“He plays hard – I want him to play hard, I want him to be competitive, but I don’t see an issue there at this moment.
Danny Welbeck silences the home fans with a fantastic finish 🤳#EmiratesFACup pic.twitter.com/bF3Bq3YfWU
— Emirates FA Cup (@EmiratesFACup) March 2, 2025
“I think it would be very out of context with how he is generally, maybe a bit of frustration in the game that things weren’t going our way, but I’d say that’s not a common sight for me when Anthony plays.”
Newcastle looked to be on their way when Alexander Isak converted a 22nd-minute penalty awarded for Yankuba Minteh’s foul on Tino Livramento, although Minteh, who left St James’ Park for the south coast last summer, made amends with an equaliser a minute before the break.
In an eventful second half, Gordon’s dismissal was followed in stoppage time by that of Brighton defender Tariq Lamptey after he collected his second yellow card of the game.
Fabian Schar thought he had won it for the Magpies when he struck from the resulting free-kick, only for a VAR check to rule he was offside, but it was Brighton substitute Danny Welbeck who eventually settled the tie six minutes from the end of extra time.
Seagulls boss Fabian Hurzeler was delighted with his team’s display on Tyneside.
Hurzeler said: “Not only the character, also the performance was quite impressive. Of course we had some setbacks during the game, but we reacted always in a very special way.
“We stayed very calm, we found a good balance between defensive stability and controlling the game in possession.
“Then we had, of course, some phases of the game where we had to suffer, but in the end, we did it in quite an impressive way. We always stayed together, we always found the right solution on the behaviour of Newcastle and therefore I’m really pleased with the character, but also the performance.”
Ange Postecoglou insisted his controversial cupped ear celebration to Tottenham fans in a 1-0 loss at Chelsea had been misinterpreted on another bad night for the Australian.Spurs slipped to a 16th defeat in the Premier League this season thanks to a 50th-minute header by Enzo Fernandez, but it only told half the story of a typically frenzied London derby.VAR was required to rule out a fine strike...

Chelsea climbed back into the Premier League’s top four as Enzo Fernandez’s header early in the second half earned a 1-0 derby win over Tottenham at Stamford Bridge.Enzo Maresca’s side were under pressure after limping into the international break playing football that had ceased to excite home fans, but they largely had the better of a disappointing Spurs team that failed to tak...

Reports suggest a striker, a new central midfielder, a winger and a backup goalkeeper all on the Italian's agenda as the season comes to a close. However, this means player sales will also be key to boosting Arteta's spending power if they want to comply with financial rules much like every other Premier League side. Raheem Sterling and veteran No.2 goalkeeper Neto are both set to return to their ...

Let's start our Daily Laugh today. Sam Barrott last night Kiwior VS Vinicius Jr. & Mbappe Fun Fact Once upon a time they all used to called as next Messi. VAR referee placing bets during a live game in the Bulgaria league. Only Didier Drogba can do this… Tottenham always make Chelsea feel better Please stay tuned on Daily Laugh. There will be more fun tomorrow!(Credit: Justtoonit, ori...

Manchester United will beat Arsenal to the signing of fearsome Swedish striker Viktor Gyokeres this summer, according to a Liverpool legend.Gyokeres is one of the most in-demand centre-forwards in the world after registering an incredible 85 goals in 92 appearances for Sporting CP since joining the club in July 2023. The 26-year-old was prevented from leaving last summer by a massive €100mil...

The Canada international is poised to become a free agent this summer, leading to plenty of interest in him from top Premier League clubs.According to Empire of the Kop, it now looks like Liverpool are serious contenders to sign David ahead of the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Newcastle and West Ham.It's not often quality players like David are available for free, so it ...

Ollie Watkins was a transfer target for Arsenal back in JanuaryArsenal are gearing up for a busy summer transfer window with a new striker at the top of Mikel Arteta's wishlist. But there are seemingly no plans to rekindle their interest in Ollie Watkins after their failed January swoop for the Aston Villa star.Watkins, 29, emerged as a surprise target for the Gunners in the winter transfer window...

Man Utd hand Amir Ibragimov his first professional contract🚨✍🏻 Official: Amir Ibragimov has signed his first professional contract for Manchester United.He’s highly rated internally among talents for the future. pic.twitter.com/YrkLvNUeRd— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) April 3, 2025Real Madrid sign highly-rated Diego Aguado🚨⚪️ 18 year old talent Diego Aguado has signed new deal at ...

David Moyes believes James Tarkowski was lucky to avoid a red card for his reckless challenge on Alexis Mac Allister as Everton were beaten 1-0 by Liverpool on a controversial night at Anfield.Diogo Jota’s 57th-minute goal, which Moyes claimed should have been ruled out for offside, gave Liverpool a 100th derby win and moved them a step closer to the Premier League title, but both sides were...

Jack Grealish dedicated his goal to his late brother after scoring in Manchester City’s 2-0 win over relegation-threatened Leicester on Wednesday.The England international hit his first Premier League goal for 16 months, on his first start in the competition since last December, as City moved back into fourth with a comfortable success at the Etihad Stadium.It came on the 25th anniversary of...



- 1 Reading extend unbeaten League One run to 11 games with win over Peterborough
- 2 Danny Rohl hails Sheffield Wednesday resilience in draw at Cardiff
- 3 Alfie May double sends Birmingham step closer to Championship
- 4 Marcus Rashford scores first Premier League goal for Villa in win at Brighton
- 5 Ryan Lowe and Conor Hourihane felt team deserved more as Wigan and Barnsley draw
- 6 Hollywood superstar Anne Hathaway sends clear message to Bukayo Saka
- 7 Mat Sadler hails Taylor Allen set-piece skills after Walsall snatch draw
- 8 Chris Davies says Alfie May’s goal drought never concerned him
- 9 Football fan 'eats' raw pig's head in ultimate insult
- 10 Marcus Rashford still looking to improve after firing Villa into FA Cup semis