Liverpool captain Virgil van Dijk has said he believes Manchester United were "disrespected" ahead of Sunday's 2-2 draw at Anfield.
A late equaliser from Amad Diallo denied Liverpool the victory after Arne Slot's side had cancelled out Lisandro Martinez's strike with goals from Cody Gakpo and Mohamed Salah.
The expectation heading into the match was that Premier League leaders Liverpool would comfortably beat United, who had lost three games in a row before their trip to Merseyside.
However, Ruben Amorim's side turned in arguably their most impressive performance of the season to keep Liverpool at arm's length, and Van Dijk has admitted he feels the media underestimated United before the game.
"Do I feel United were disrespected? Yeah," Van Dijk said after the match. "I heard in the press conference someone asked if we were going to rotate players against United.
"I was shocked. It is one of the biggest games of the season and United will always make it tough. To hear that, I was surprised.
"We are playing against a good opponent. I think everyone from the outside world forgets that judging by the sound that had been going around before the game. They have good players. They are obviously a work in progress like we are but they made it difficult for us."
Virgil van Dijk has said he always knew the clash against Manchester United would be tough.
Van Dijk also defended teammate Trent Alexander-Arnold, who has faced criticism for his lacklustre display against United. Both Van Dijk and Alexander-Arnold -- alongside Salah -- are out of contract at the end of the season, but it is the right-back who has been at the centre of recent transfer speculation.
Real Madrid approached Liverpool last week about signing Alexander-Arnold in the January transfer window, though their advances were quickly rebuffed by the club. Some fans and pundits have suggested the 26-year-old's disappointing performance on Sunday was linked to the noise surrounding his future, but Van Dijk disagrees.
"No. I am fine with it," the centre-back said. "Trent has his own people around him, his family and we are there as well.
"He wants to perform in the best way possible like we all do. That is the main focus. In my opinion, maybe ask him, that is the distraction, the game."
Antony reveals he is uncertain he will stay at Real BetisAntony says joining Real Betis is the "best decision" he has made, but the Brazilian winger is unsure if he will stay beyond the end of this season.Speaking to reporters, the Manchester United loanee said: "I'm very happy here, but it's still too early to decide. I found myself, I needed to find myself, I needed to be happy, and I needed my ...

Harry Kane has been linked with a surprise return to the Premier League in recent weeks.Harry Kane has addressed recent rumors linking him with Liverpool. Despite recent rumours linking him with a sensational move back to the Premier League, Harry Kane appears to have dismissed any possibility of a move this summer. Even though Liverpool are on track to clinch the title, with a 12-point lead over ...

Arsenal preparing new contract offer SakaArsenal are all set to offer a new contract to their star player Bukayo Saka as they look to tie down the English winger on a long-term basis. Saka's current deal expires at the end 2026-27 season but Football Insider reports that the Gunners officials have already initiated contract talks with the player.Madrid to join Arsenal in race to sign ZubimendiPer ...

Let's start our Daily Laugh today. Preston 0-3 Aston Villa (FA Cup)Rashford 2 goals That was the real Brazil.▫️ No TikTok dances.▫️ No extravagant hairstyles.▫️ No individualism.It was a joy to watch.. No way!!! LOL Soccer A GOATED FRAME! Solskjaer's Besiktas becomes the first club to beat Galatasaray in the league this season. Please stay tuned on Daily Laugh. There will be more fun tomorrow!(Cre...

Wayne Rooney was caught short as he got suited and booted for a lads night out. The Manchester United icon, 39, hit the town in a black suit and tie as he enjoyed a few hours at The Nest Rooftop bar in Marylebone, an exclusive bar that boasts a 360-degree view of the London skyline.And the group would then leave Marylebone and head for the posh district of Mayfair as they settled in for dinner and...

Manchester City are keen on Eintracht Frankfurt's €60 million-rated youngster Hugo Larsson but face competition from Arsenal and Liverpool.City target Frankfurt midfielderLiverpool and Arsenal also interestedBundesliga side demand huge fee for youngsterWHAT HAPPENED?Pep Guardiola's side have opened initial talks for Larsson but have been warned that Eintracht Frankfurt will demand €60m...

RB Leipzig star Xavi Simons alongside a Manchester United badgeManchester United have been linked with a move for RB Leipzig star Xavi Simons and TEAMtalk can confirm there is interest in the Dutchman, but a blockbuster deal this summer has major obstacles.The 21-year-old has had an interesting journey so far, having joined Paris Saint-Germain from PSV Eindhoven in 2023, before being sent to RB Le...

Caragh Keane set up her business with the help of father RoyIrish international midfielder Roy Keane developed a reputation as one of the Premier League's iconic hard man. However, during a podcast appearance alongside his daughter Caragh, the former Manchester United captain showed another side to his personality.Caragh was diagnosed with Lupus in 2021 and has set up a health food company - with ...

The speedy Man Utd ace, currently on loan at Aston Villa, added the special edition Audi to his collection after waiting months for it to be delivered.Man Utd's Marcus Rashford has sold his incredible £450,000 Lamborghini super carThe ace has splashed out £177k on a rare new AudiThe estate car can comfortably fit five passengers and has plenty of boot space.But the meaty performance moto...

Jack Grealish dedicated his goal to his late brother after scoring in Manchester City’s 2-0 win over relegation-threatened Leicester on Wednesday.The England international hit his first Premier League goal for 16 months, on his first start in the competition since last December, as City moved back into fourth with a comfortable success at the Etihad Stadium.It came on the 25th anniversary of...



- 1 Hot WAG flaunts 'astonishing' washboard abs in bikini
- 2 Danny Rohl hails Sheffield Wednesday resilience in draw at Cardiff
- 3 Alfie May double sends Birmingham step closer to Championship
- 4 Marcus Rashford scores first Premier League goal for Villa in win at Brighton
- 5 Ryan Lowe and Conor Hourihane felt team deserved more as Wigan and Barnsley draw
- 6 Mat Sadler hails Taylor Allen set-piece skills after Walsall snatch draw
- 7 Chris Davies says Alfie May’s goal drought never concerned him
- 8 Football fan 'eats' raw pig's head in ultimate insult
- 9 Marcus Rashford still looking to improve after firing Villa into FA Cup semis
- 10 Chelsea prepare €70m for Barcelona defender