Enzo Maresca has said that Chelsea believe Mykhailo Mudryk is innocent following his positive drugs test and will continue to "support" the player.
Mudryk and Chelsea released statements on Tuesday confirming that the FA had been in contact over the Ukraine winger supplying an adverse urine sample, with both player and club expressing their surprise.
Head coach Maresca faced the media for the first time since that news on Wednesday and insisted that everyone at Chelsea trusts Mudryk, who is not training with the team while they await further test results.
"We are all upset, sad," Maresca said. "We are giving him general support.
"We trust Mykhailo, when these types of things happen you need to support your player in all the aspects. He is one of the players in my squad so it is my duty to be in contact with him, we are all there. The teammates, the club, me, we are all there.
"Trust means we believe Myka, we support him. We want to help him in anything he needs. It is normal that in this moment he needs help from the club and we are there to support."
Mykhailo Mudryk faces a ban from football if it is confirmed he has used a banned substance.
Pressed on whether "trust" meant Chelsea feel Mudryk is innocent, Maresca nodded and replied: "We all believe [he is innocent]."
Reports in Ukraine on Tuesday suggest a prohibited substance was found in an "A" sample given at the end of October. Those same reports state the "B" sample has not yet been tested but will be in the coming days.
Confirmation that Mudryk has used a banned substance could trigger a lengthy ban from football. FIFA's guidelines state that the maximum ban for an anti-doping violation is four years.
"It is not the first time this has happened. It will happen again for different players, they know exactly what they have to do," Maresca added. "I think he is going to come back, but for sure we don't know when."
Mudryk was one of the most sought-after players in Europe when he joined Chelsea in January 2023, for a fee which could potentially rise to £88 million.
But the 23-year-old has started just 26 Premier League games and only one this season under new boss Maresca, who admitted Chelsea could well look to more January reinforcements.
"We have three or four games before January," he said. "After these three games, we will see if we need to do something."
Chelsea play Shamrock Rovers in the UEFA Conference League on Thursday before Premier League fixtures against Everton, Fulham and Ipswich Town to close out 2024.
Chelsea are reportedly preparing a €70 million offer for Barcelona defender Jules Kounde ahead of the summer transfer window, according to reports from Spain.The French international was heavily linked with a move to Stamford Bridge before joining Barcelona in 2022, and he has remained a target for Chelsea ever since.Now, the London club is once again eyeing the 26-year-old as a key addition...

Chelsea are interested in signing the AC Milan attacker Rafael Leao at the end of the season. The 25-year-old attacker has done quite well for the Italian club this season, and he has 10 goals and nine assists to his name in all competitions. According to a report from Calciomercato, Chelsea are evaluating a potential move for the player with the help of super agent Jorge Mendes.However, the Blues...

Jules Kounde is being linked with a move to Chelsea once againChelsea are reportedly preparing a massive bid to sign one of Barcelona’s key players, with fresh claims emerging from Spain.The Blues have reignited their interest in Jules Kounde, a player they aggressively pursued when he left Sevilla in 2022. Back then, Chelsea were locked in a fierce transfer battle with Barcelona, only to be...

Helen Flanagan was a soap superstar on Coronation StreetFormer Coronation Street actress Helen Flanagan has opened up on life as a Premier League footballer's WAG, pointing out that living life in the public eye has its ups and downs.Flanagan, 34, was engaged to former Chelsea, Swansea, Manchester City, Aston Villa, Celtic, Preston and current Bristol Rovers winger Scott Sinclair, who turned 36 on...

Arsenal confident Zubimendi deal is done but must fight off MadridArsenal are reportedly confident they have sealed a deal for Martin Zubimendi, but incoming sporting director Andrea Berti must fight off Real Madrid.Chelsea step up interest in WilliamsChelsea have intensified their pursuit of Athletic Club star Nico Williams, according to TEAMtalk. The Premier League side has reportedly initiated ...

Arsenal forward Alessia Russo has silverware in her sights as she prepares to take on Real Madrid in the first Champions League quarter-final of her career.The in-form England international is the second highest scorer in the Women’s Super League this season with 10 goals and has also registered five times in Europe.Arsenal – the only English club to have won the Champions League, foll...

Paris St Germain head coach Luis Enrique believes the team which prevails in their last-16 tie against Liverpool at Anfield will be Champions League finalists.PSG trail 1-0 from their first leg despite a dominant display at the Parc des Princes but the former Barcelona boss is confident they can turn things around on Tuesday.“The most important game is the one which comes next and I hope it ...

Chelsea head coach Sonia Bompastor believes her side will be “desperate” to earn a good result in their midweek Women’s Super League clash with Leicester at Kingsmeadow.The Blues dropped points for only the second time in the league this season after Lauren James’ second-half equaliser rescued a point in a 2-2 draw with Brighton at the weekend.The defending champions mainta...

Carlo Ancelotti says Real Madrid will appeal to reduce the length of Jude Bellingham’s ban following his sending off against Osasuna.The England international was shown a straight red card for foul and abusive language during a 1-1 draw last Saturday and received a two-match suspension.The Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) has already rejected an appeal to reverse the ban, but Ancelotti sai...

Man City travel to Aston Villa on Saturday desperate for victoryCityzens fell further into crisis with late Manchester derby defeatVillans hoping to further punish miserable Man City formManchester City make the challenging trip to Aston Villa on Saturday in the Premier League as they desperately look to end their three-game winless run.Last weekend's late and embarrassing defeat to local rivals M...



- 1 Hot WAG flaunts 'astonishing' washboard abs in bikini
- 2 Danny Rohl hails Sheffield Wednesday resilience in draw at Cardiff
- 3 Alfie May double sends Birmingham step closer to Championship
- 4 Marcus Rashford scores first Premier League goal for Villa in win at Brighton
- 5 Ryan Lowe and Conor Hourihane felt team deserved more as Wigan and Barnsley draw
- 6 Mat Sadler hails Taylor Allen set-piece skills after Walsall snatch draw
- 7 Chris Davies says Alfie May’s goal drought never concerned him
- 8 Football fan 'eats' raw pig's head in ultimate insult
- 9 Marcus Rashford still looking to improve after firing Villa into FA Cup semis
- 10 Chelsea prepare €70m for Barcelona defender