> Internacional > Texto
European football chiefs, FIFPRO slam FIFA over schedule
{by} ESPN

European football chiefs and the global players' union, FIFPRO, united on Monday to criticise FIFA over the global football calendar as they filed an antitrust complaint against the global football governing body.

FIFPRO and the European Leagues, which represents 37 domestic leagues, jointly filed the complaint at the European Commission in Brussels in which they argue global football's governing body FIFA is abusing its right as both tournament organiser and regulator.

LaLiga president Javier Tebas said Monday has been "one of the most important days in football" and compared the case to that against the failed European Super League, while Premier League boss Richard Masters said in a statement that football has reached a "tipping point."

LaLiga is not a member of the European Leagues but it is a part of Monday's complaint.

FIFA declined to comment at this stage when approached by ESPN.

FIFPRO, the worldwide representative organisation for professional footballers, said it has tried to negotiate the issue with FIFA but said the governing body has "consistently refused" to consult them. It has also described FIFA's intention to host its expanded Club World Cup competition in the United States this summer as a step too far.

However, a source told ESPN this summer's competition is unlikely to be impacted given the short amount of time before it takes place.

"Today is one of the most important days in football," Tebas said.

"For me, there's been two historical days in football. One in 2019 when we stopped a reform of the Super League and today we've given a very important step in what we believe is the path of changing the governance of football institutions and we're not going to let this opportunity get away."

Player workload been a hot topic in football over recent seasons, with players and coaches repeatedly urging organisers to condense the schedule and allow players more rest. Last month, Manchester City midfielder Rodri said players are "close" to going on strike over the issue.

"It is getting to a tipping point," Masters said in a statement.

"The feedback we have from players is that there is too much football being played and there is constant expansion. The Premier League hasn't changed shape. What has changed over the last few decades is the march of international and regional football competitions."

Serie A chief executive Luigi De Siervo said: "Serie A, like almost all other European Leagues, in the last 20 years hasn't increased the number of games.

"On the contrary FIFA and UEFA, cycle after cycle, have increased constantly the size of their competitions for both clubs and national teams and we have now reached a saturation point in the calendar."

FIFA argues that its most recent calendar, set through to 2030, was approved by its council which "included FIFPRO and league bodies."

It said in July, when the antitrust complaint was first announced: "FIFA's calendar is the only instrument ensuring that international football can continue to survive, co-exist, and prosper alongside domestic and continental club football."

A source told ESPN that FIFA believes the Club World Cup will have a minimal impact on the football calendar or on player welfare, given it will be held once every four years, featuring a maximum of seven games.

A recent analysis published by Opta shows that, while City played the most games last season (59), the majority of teams in Europe played fewer than 50 matches, with five Premier League sides playing 42 games last season -- just four more than the league season.

Another recent paper by CIES Football Observatory found there is only a minor difference in the number of games players play per season compared to previous decades.


The inaugural edition of FIFA's Club World Cup is set to be held in the United States from June 15 to July 13, 2025.

However, FIFPRO said their research shows 72% of players are in support of reducing the calendar and ensuring a mandate rest period, as well as data that says 17% of players made over 55 appearances last season and 30% had a sequence of six "back-to-back" matches.

FIFPRO and the European Leagues argue that FIFA is abusing its status as a governing body and tournament organiser, saying the body favours its own competitions rather than looking out for player welfare.

"Enough is enough, we can't take it anymore," Mathieu Moreuil, Premier League director of international football relations and EU affairs, said.

"We have now an international match calendar which is beyond saturation... We've tried to engage with FIFA on that for years now without any positive response. So enough is enough."

The antitrust complaint is not the only case against FIFA regarding the international match calendar. Domestic players unions in England, France and Italy took legal action against the governing body at the Brussels Court of Commerce in June and they are attempting to have the case tried at the European Court of Justice.

That case centres on employment law and players' rights to holiday. One of their aims is to have a mandated rest period -- between three to four weeks per year -- for players to recuperate.

European governing body UEFA has also increased its schedule, notably with the new Champions League and Europa League formats, but has not been targeted in the complaint to regulators.

Moreuil said that was because FIFA was responsible for the international calendar and relations were different with UEFA thanks to dialogue.

Ange Postecoglou insists touchline reaction to Tottenham fans was misinterpreted

Ange Postecoglou insisted his controversial cupped ear celebration to Tottenham fans in a 1-0 loss at Chelsea had been misinterpreted on another bad night for the Australian.Spurs slipped to a 16th defeat in the Premier League this season thanks to a 50th-minute header by Enzo Fernandez, but it only told half the story of a typically frenzied London derby.VAR was required to rule out a fine strike...

{by} PA
Enzo Fernandez header sends Chelsea back into top four after win over Tottenham

Chelsea climbed back into the Premier League’s top four as Enzo Fernandez’s header early in the second half earned a 1-0 derby win over Tottenham at Stamford Bridge.Enzo Maresca’s side were under pressure after limping into the international break playing football that had ceased to excite home fans, but they largely had the better of a disappointing Spurs team that failed to tak...

{by} PA
Daily Laugh - Kiwior VS Vinicius Jr. & Mbappe

Let's start our Daily Laugh today. Sam Barrott last night Kiwior VS Vinicius Jr. & Mbappe Fun Fact Once upon a time they all used to called as next Messi. VAR referee placing bets during a live game in the Bulgaria league. Only Didier Drogba can do this… Tottenham always make Chelsea feel better Please stay tuned on Daily Laugh. There will be more fun tomorrow!(Credit: Justtoonit, ori...

Kylian Mbappe
Tottenham
Chelsea
{by} 7M Sport
Man Utd ‘will get’ elite 162-goal Arsenal striker target as electrifying hijack talked up

Manchester United will beat Arsenal to the signing of fearsome Swedish striker Viktor Gyokeres this summer, according to a Liverpool legend.Gyokeres is one of the most in-demand centre-forwards in the world after registering an incredible 85 goals in 92 appearances for Sporting CP since joining the club in July 2023. The 26-year-old was prevented from leaving last summer by a massive €100mil...

Manchester United
Arsenal
Viktor Gyokeres
{by} teamtalk.com
Talks begin: Liverpool working on exciting free transfer, serious contenders to beat multiple rivals to deal

The Canada international is poised to become a free agent this summer, leading to plenty of interest in him from top Premier League clubs.According to Empire of the Kop, it now looks like Liverpool are serious contenders to sign David ahead of the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Newcastle and West Ham.It's not often quality players like David are available for free, so it ...

Liverpool
Jonathan David
Darwin Nunez
{by} Caughtoffside.com
Arsenal make final decision on Ollie Watkins summer transfer after shock £40m bid

Ollie Watkins was a transfer target for Arsenal back in JanuaryArsenal are gearing up for a busy summer transfer window with a new striker at the top of Mikel Arteta's wishlist. But there are seemingly no plans to rekindle their interest in Ollie Watkins after their failed January swoop for the Aston Villa star.Watkins, 29, emerged as a surprise target for the Gunners in the winter transfer window...

Ollie Watkins
Arsenal
Mikel Arteta
{by} mirror.co.uk
Transfer news & rumours LIVE: Liverpool ruled out of £60m transfer race for Kane

Man Utd hand Amir Ibragimov his first professional contract🚨✍🏻 Official: Amir Ibragimov has signed his first professional contract for Manchester United.He’s highly rated internally among talents for the future. pic.twitter.com/YrkLvNUeRd— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) April 3, 2025Real Madrid sign highly-rated Diego Aguado🚨⚪️ 18 year old talent Diego Aguado has signed new deal at ...

Liverpool
Manchester United
Harry Kane
{by} Goal.com
David Moyes: James Tarkowski lucky not to see red for Alexis Mac Allister tackle

David Moyes believes James Tarkowski was lucky to avoid a red card for his reckless challenge on Alexis Mac Allister as Everton were beaten 1-0 by Liverpool on a controversial night at Anfield.Diogo Jota’s 57th-minute goal, which Moyes claimed should have been ruled out for offside, gave Liverpool a 100th derby win and moved them a step closer to the Premier League title, but both sides were...

{by} PA
Jack Grealish dedicates his opener for Manchester City to his late brother

Jack Grealish dedicated his goal to his late brother after scoring in Manchester City’s 2-0 win over relegation-threatened Leicester on Wednesday.The England international hit his first Premier League goal for 16 months, on his first start in the competition since last December, as City moved back into fourth with a comfortable success at the Etihad Stadium.It came on the 25th anniversary of...

{by} PA
He’s offside – David Moyes bemoans Diogo Jota winner as Liverpool edge derby

David Moyes bemoaned an “offside” goal that gave Liverpool a 1-0 win over Everton – but admitted James Tarkowski was lucky to avoid an early red card on a controversial night at Anfield.Diogo Jota’s 57th-minute goal gave Liverpool a 100th derby win and moved them a step closer to the Premier League title, but both sides were left unhappy with decisions from referee Sam Barr...

{by} PA
Dalian Aerbin(féminines)
06/03/2019 04:00 VS Pas commencé
Dalian Aerbin(féminines)
Classement
D E
Matchs joués
73.5% Victoires 26.5%
Pts: 82 Rang: 1 Pts: 82 Rang: 1
Domicile
73.5% Victoires 26.5%
Pts: 82 Rang: 1 Pts: 82 Rang: 1
Extérieur
73.5% Victoires 26.5%
Pts: 82 Rang: 1 Pts: 82 Rang: 1
Últimos 6
73.5% Victoires 26.5%
Pts: 82 Rang: 1 Pts: 82 Rang: 1
Derniers 8 paris (AH)
D E
G P G P G P G P
Victoires: 62.50%
G P G P G P G P
Victoires: 62.50%
Plus
Rang
Équipe
Pts
Rang
Équipe
Pts
Rang
Équipe
Pts
Rang
Équipe
Pts
Rang
Équipe
Pts
Rang
Équipe
Pts